Wednesday, September 12, 2007

All we are saying. . . .

is give Peace a chance.

The Peace Alliance
presented an entertaining and informative production on Monday. It brought me to tears. It seems so simple to me, to choose peace. I went to my legislators websites to encourage them to support HR 808 a bill to establish a United States Department of Peace.

A Department of Peace will work to:
-- Provide much-needed assistance to efforts by city, county, and state governments in coordinating existing programs; as well as develop new programs based on best practices nationally

-- Teach violence prevention and mediation to America's school children

-- Effectively treat and dismantle gang psychology

-- Rehabilitate the prison population

-- Build peace-making efforts among conflicting cultures both here and abroad

-- Support our military with complementary approaches to peace-building.

-- Create and administer a U.S. Peace Academy, acting as a sister organization to the U.S. Military Academy.

-- And more…

When I submitted the form it asked what my request was regarding. There were 45 subjects listed - such as:
Defense/Military
Homeland security
Military academies
War in Iraq
War on Terror

but not even the word peace. Hmmm, yeah, I think it's time it was an option. Violence is a learned behavior and can be unlearned given the resources and attention. Would you consider giving it yours?

It only took me about 10 minutes to let my legislators know. Click here to learn more and let yours know too.

"More than an end to war,
we want an end to the beginnings of all war."
Franklin Roosevelt

Heartfelt thanks,

Lynn

No comments: